2018 IEC Scholarship
Guidelines for Sun Region, EGA
International Embroidery Conference (IEC) 2018
Chicago in Stitches Scholarship
Scholarship: Available to Sun Region members only. Reimbursement of up to $1000 toward registration fee, travel, and hotel for the Chicago in Stitches International Embroidery Conference (IEC) 2018, April 26-28, Chicago, IL. Please see International Embroidery Conference (IEC) – The Embroiderers’ Guild of America for more information on the conference.
Application: Complete the application form and provide a written essay of no more than 500 words, describing how you and the region will benefit from your participation in the IEC. Consider the following questions when writing the essay: (1) Why do you want this educational opportunity? (2) What past experiences (not exclusively EGA) indicate your potential success in this scholarship endeavor? (3) How will you implement this experience into your life? Include a plan for the required presentation and newsletter article. The application shall include name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, chapter, EGA membership number, references, and the essay identified by EGA number only.
Applicant should complete the application (download here) and essay, and submit to IEC 2018 Scholarship Chairman by January 31, 2018.
After the conference, the Scholarship winner will provide the following:
- Article with photographs for Sun News by date specified that includes the IEC experience and how the recipient and the region were enriched and benefited educationally by the experience.
- Live presentation at a Sun Region board meeting on the IEC experience and how the recipient and the region were enriched and benefited educationally by the experience. Presentation must be at least 30 minutes.
Deadline for the presentation is the Fall 2018 Sun Region board meeting (preferred) or the Spring 2019 Sun Region board meeting. The Sun News article must be provided to the newsletter editor and the IEC 2018 Scholarship Chairman in time for publication in the September 2018 Sun News.
The scholarship winner may submit a request for reimbursement when expenses occur using the region’s Monies from Treasurer form. For example, after going on the IEC website and registering for the conference, the winner can request reimbursement for the conference fee before the conference is over. Reimbursement is limited to $1000.
Guidelines for Selection Committee
Selection Committee will be composed of the current region director, the education chairman (who will be the IEC 2018 Scholarship Chairman), and two additional Sun Region members appointed by the region director who will not be applying for the scholarship.
The selection process is as follows:
- The education chairman will advertise this scholarship opportunity to each chapter by providing it to the Region Representatives and the chapter newsletter editor, requesting that they send it to all their members. Other advertising methods will be used as available.
- Applications for the scholarship will be mailed to the education chairman, and must be received by January 31, 2018 to be considered. The essay portion will be distributed to the committee members by February 4th.
- Each Selection Committee member shall read and submit ratings of each applicant’s essay anonymously. A standard rating form will be used for each essay assessment. Committee members will conclude their initial screening by February 15, 2018, and will provide their results back to the education chairman. If necessary, the education chairman may call a conference call meeting to arrive at final selections.
- Applicants shall be notified of acceptance/rejection by February 18, 2018.
- All information gathered by the committee and all discussion of the committee is confidential.